Pages

Saturday, January 13, 2018

Book Review(ish): Hag-Seed by Margaret Atwood

So, I feel kind of lame with this review, because it’s a not-review-review. It’s a DNF-reasoning. But maybe this particular issue I have is something I’m not alone in? Perhaps this can serve as a disclaimer/warning on the book for someone else with my hangup. 




I was excited for my first dip into the waters of Margaret Atwood, and I had high hopes even though this isn’t one of her lauded staples. I’d previously read another entry in the Hogarth Shakespeare series I enjoyed, Vinegar Girl. And then, very early into the pages, I got stuck. It’s the same thing that happened to me with Good Omens by Gaiman & Pratchett and Wildwood by Colin Meloy. 

I can no longer stomach when bad things happen to babies or children, even in fiction. 

I think it must be some sort of evolutionary  reaction. Since having kids, I have an extreme emotional and visceral, physical reaction to hearing of even minor, slightly unpleasant things happening to kids. It goes far beyond the normal sad, sympathetic reaction most people have to the same sorts of things. I wish it didn’t happen—it feels kind of silly and it keeps me from enjoying otherwise great works of fiction. It almost feels like a phobia or something, to be honest. 

Does anyone else experience this? Is it a parent thing or do others deal with it, too? 

I feel bad that I can’t fulfill my duty to give an actual review of this book, but maybe I can help someone else with my problem to avoid the discomfort I’ve encountered. I’ll give it 2.5 stars, since I feel equally bad saying it was “good” or “bad” in this circumstance. 

For more on Margaret Atwood and The Hag-Seed, here is a link to visit:






**Disclaimer: I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review. However, all opinions are my own!

No comments:

Post a Comment