Pages

Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Writer Wednesday: Accidentally Tolkienizing.

I didn’t set out to create a vast, complicated fantasy world. I wanted quite the opposite, in fact; I intended to write streamlined stories unfettered by convoluted backstory, confusing rules and systems, and extraneous details. But, as bad as I make all that sound, I now find myself having stumbled through the wardrobe into a vast and layered world that’s unfolding before me as I forge ahead into my stories. And while I am one part annoyed with myself, I am two parts loving it.



I’ve realized that these three stories are going to take me ages longer than I’d like to get written and polished and ready for the world to read. This is a source of frustration for me, since any writing is already going to take me longer than it does others due to my time being so restricted. (That mother of dragons life!) Add to that details and rules that beget details and rules, multiplied over and over, and you get a story that is going to take serious TIME to get right. But. At the same time, having all the rest of that sturdy, solid base of the iceberg beneath the surface, even if a proportionally small bit shows up in the story, is going to give the world of these books depth and texture and breathe them to life. I think. I hope.

Wish me luck. They say not all those who wander are lost. I’m forging ahead through this world withou a map, but I’m making one as I go!

No comments:

Post a Comment