Wednesday, April 20, 2016

5 thoughts: upcoming season of game of thrones.

It's that time of year again. The birds are singing. The flowers are blooming. The sun is shining. And...Winter is Coming?

Is anyone else as excited as me about the upcoming season of Game of Thrones???

Dany sketch by moi
Here are 5 of my prevailing thoughts going into this season--


1> Jon Snow.

Of course, you can't discuss the new season without mulling over Jon Snow's fate. They've tried to be coy about it. They've tried to be secretive about it. And we figured out awhile ago that George wasn't going to put us out of our misery with the next book's release before the next season. BUT I think everyone has pretty much figured out that he's not going to be dead for long. I mean, Melisandre is conveniently nearby, and we already know that death isn't a deal-breaker in the lands of ice and fire. I wholeheartedly believe that Jon Snow is going to become the latest walker of Westeros. There's no way we've seen the last of him.


2> Winner take all.

Everybody has their theories about who is going to take the throne, and who is whose bastard love child, and all that. I think the fans pretty much have this one pegged, too. My money is on the aforementioned Jon Snow being the rightful heir to the throne as the son of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lianna Stark. I think good ol' Ned did the noble thing and covered up his nephew's true identity to protect him as well as Lianna's memory. And maybe Robert's pride, too.


3> Arya.

Okay, so I'll admit I only finished reading about one-and-a-half of the books. But I do know a little bit about the path the story takes. See, the way we do things in my house is my husband reads every internet spoiler and Wikipedia book synopsis he can find (be it GoT, The Walking Dead, etc.) and, though I used to be a strictly anti-spoiler kind of person, he has gradually won me over to the dark side, so I make him tell me everything he knows. On that note, I know a little bit, vaguely, about the direction Arya's story takes in the books. And, since she is one of the two characters I've allowed myself to grow attached to due to the fact that they haven't died yet in the books, I'm interested to see how it plays out on the show. Last season was kind of a snooze fest for Arya. The blindness thing just wasn't all that shocking or compelling. So, I'm hoping this season she finally gets to really plunge into the badassery I know she has ahead of her, at least in the book storyline.


4> Sansa.

I used to be a Sansa hater. I mean, of course I felt sorry for her, but she just seemed so simpering, and naive, and it was just kind of hard to like her. But now I feel like she's grown so much, and been through so much (yikes), that I've grown very attached to her and want to see her come out on top with some strength and badassery of her own. And Theon, Theon, Theon. As much as he brought everything he's been through on himself, I can't help but feel so, so bad for him and the tragic turn he took. So I am hoping he makes Stark-y amends and turns things around now that he's joined forces with Sansa. She may have to drag him back to the light side by his ear, but I hope it works out for both of them. The gods know they both deserve a break at this point. And while they're at it, can they please push Ramsay into a pit of raging ice zombies or something?


5> Danaerys.

I have to admit, I am not a member of Team Khaleesi. Not a bandwagon I cared to jump on. I mean, I'd like to get her and Jon Snow in a room together. All the noble good intentions might cause some kind of spontaneous dragon fire explosion or something. But as a whole, I just don't connect with her character like a lot of fans seem to. I'm not sure what it is exactly about her that doesn't grab me. So I'm not really eager to see her, once again, in a situation much like she was in before, stuck with a bunch of shirtless horse dudes who totally don't get her. They have dragged out her storyline way too much, and I need her to just sail across to Westeros already. Get on with it! Stop dragging your dragon talons and get in there! Yeah, yeah, I know, she's not exactly in a position to do that now. But her storyline has kind of spoiled its potential, I think, by squandering its momentum.


Ok, those are the 5 thoughts on Game of Thrones on my mind right now. I'm sure I'll have many more come Sunday night / Monday morning!


No comments:

Post a Comment