Monday, March 21, 2016

flashback: my first pregnancy.

It has been almost a year since my very first pregnancy ended. And, I may sound like a broken record, but I am floored by how quickly that year has whizzed by. So, today, in my series of posts leading up to Avery's first birthday, I am taking a moment to look back on the rollercoaster ride of my first pregnancy. (Whee?)

We found out for sure that I was pregnant on August 1, 2014. It felt to us, anyway, like it was a long time coming, because we had been trying for the entirety of our marriage to get pregnant, just shy of 2 years. I know that isn't much to some who try for much, much longer or who have much bigger roadblocks than we did, but the wait is never easy regardless of the situation. So we felt very relieved and excited when it finally happened.


My pregnancy was a pretty standard one, which is to say it wasn't always sunshine and rainbows, but it went off without any really serious hitches and resulted in a healthy mom and healthy baby. I suffered from a lot of "morning" (not just morning) sickness which included, like clockwork, throwing up every other morning before work for the first few months. I also had some pretty righteous heartburn, all the standard aches and pains, and some wicked Braxton-Hicks contractions for the last month or so.


I had a few complications, too, but nothing that ended up being serious. I had to visit the emergency room for bleeding (scary!) which turned out to just be harmless ovarian cysts. The whole ordeal was long, exhausting, and terrifying, though! I also tested positive for Group B Strep, which isn't serious when treated but does mean you have to be given IV antibiotics during labor. 


As I was in the midst of the pregnancy, it was simultaneously exciting and exhausting. I don't think I was too afraid of what was to come--childbirth and then actually having an infant to care for. I was more focused on the moment and how I felt. As I mentioned, my pregnancy was free from too many complications, but just having your body put through the ringer like that and used by another life is a physically and emotionally draining process. That said, I was also in a state of utter excitement and joy the whole time, as well. But I did come to realize that when I was struggling to get pregnant and felt annoyed by pregnant moms who seemed to complain more than realize how lucky they were, I had no way to know that you can be both overjoyed and also totally drained at the same time without being ungrateful. Pregnancy is a weird, complex experience to go through. 

But the end result is pretty amazing!


And I will definitely attempt to do it again one day. Being a parent is one of the hardest things I've done, but the rewards certainly surpass the difficulties. And Avery is so awesome, there's no way I'd miss out on trying to give her a little brother or sister one day.

Check back in soon, if this is a topic that interests you, because this leads to another topic I will address soon: the lessons I learned from my first pregnancy, which I will certainly be keeping in my back pocket for the next one!


No comments:

Post a Comment